The mission of the Urban Land Institute is to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
ULI neither lobbies nor acts as an advocate for any single industry. ULI examines land use issues, impartially reports findings, and convenes forums to find solutions to complex land use problems, collaborating with industry and stakeholder groups worldwide. ULI advocates better land use planning, better growth patterns and better development to improve the overall quality of life in our communities.
ULI was founded on the basis of sharing mistakes made and lessons learned, and this culture of sharing remains in place to day. No other group offers members such a unique opportunity to learn from each other and exchange information on what works and what doesn’t.
Guiding our programming and decision-making, the Policy and Practice Focus Areas are broad and responsive to current land-use trends.
Policy and Practice Focus Areas
Promoting Intelligent Densification and Urbanization
- Identifying responsible ways to provide cost-effective housing for a population that is becoming increasingly urbanized
- Defining the relationship between a dynamic society and the built environment
Creating Resilient Communities
- Defining the best new business models in the real estate and land use industry and supporting their development in creating thriving communities
- Influencing land use leaders locally and around the world to reshape the process of community building
Understanding Demand and Market Forces
- Understanding the demand (quantity, type, price, and location of the need) for real estate and discovering what the market wants and needs short-term vs long-term
- Balancing local, regional, national, and global interests as well as public and private on land use decisions and development
- Understanding how changing technology influences buildings, development and how people interact with the physical environment
Connecting Capital and the Built Environment Through Value
- Generating value in the built environment that is greater than its cost
- Identifying the best ways to ensure the attractiveness of real estate as an investment and explain the relationship between investment in public projects and the impact on real estate value
Integrating Energy, Resources, and Uses Sustainably
- Reducing the negative impact of the built environment on our natural resources and climate and studying future trends
- Identifying the best ways to use the world’s energy resources and protect the built environment from volatile and unpredictable conditions